DICE showcases Battlefield 4 Frostbite 3 game engine

Developer DICE posts a new video showcasing the new Frostbite 3 engine that powers BF4.

Battlefield 4 features a “brand new” engine, Frostbite 3. Now developer DICE reveals some of the new features found in Frostbite 3, such as all-new environment tools, improved destruction, better animations, and much more.

The first game to utilize Frostbite 3 will be Battlefield 4, but EA has over a dozen games in development that use the new engine. From RPGs (Dragon Age), to racing games (Need For Speed), to strategy games (Command & Conquer), and more.

Last month, EA revealed that they’ve opened DICE LA, a new studio based in Los Angeles which is helping on Battlefield 4 development.

According to reports, DICE is looking to improve destruction in Battlefield 4, bringing it to the level it was in Bad Company 2.

10 COMMENTS & TRACKBACKS

1. WOOT FTW
    June 24th, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I was skeptical at first of Frostbite 3 being a “new” engine, but now I see that they have made it a more believable engine. It’s the small details that FB3 will show in great detail. And I can’t wait to fight on that water!

• Derpy
      June 24th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Same here

2. Tyrane
    June 24th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

At first I thought bf4 was just bf3.5. Then I saw the multiplayer and I was “eeehhhh”. The. I saw this FB3 video and now I know this will be a whole new game.

• DGreen951
      June 25th, 2013 at 8:53 am

lol yeah ,I remember seeing hundreds of you guys crying like babies on youtube. Keyboard Screaming out “bf3.5” and blah blah blah. I hope you guys learn next time.

3. kolian
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

OH COME ON, they basically said that it is Frostbite 2, but that they used 80% of it instead of 20%. They only recently renamed it to Frostbite 3.0

I’m honestly surprised that so many sheep follow D!CE as their god.

• Tenzing
      June 24th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Dude, thats over 50%. No wonder they went to 3, instead of 2.5. BC2 and 1943 was 1.5, because it was more of a small step up from 1.0

• The Iranian
      June 24th, 2013 at 11:20 pm

All the new features included in Frostbite 3 warrant it being labeled as a new engine. These improvements are vast, despite the fact that it looks like BF3 in terms of art style. Did you not hear of ragdoll physics for both players AND vehicles? Jet debris landing in the ocean causing a wave and floating parts. Try that in BF3, tell me what you get.

In comparison to what some other studios are labeling as a new “engine” by adding subpar lighting effects and slightly better textures, if you know what I am referring to. 🙂

• Tiezzynator
        June 25th, 2013 at 5:12 am

That ghosts thingy with HD DOGS, and adaptive maps, and the way you go over a wall. Children Online Daycare.

4. Your Friendly Neighborhood Poster
    June 25th, 2013 at 9:45 am

It’s amazing how fast they’re moving this engine forward compared to other engines. It went from blowing up walls in Bad Company 1 to ridiculous graphics and leveling entire skyscrapers in BF4 over the course of several years.

Sure beats the hell out of a lot of these other first person shooters that just slap on some new graphics like a coat of paint and call it a new game.

5. Sparky
    June 26th, 2013 at 11:52 am

I do like this video, if they stand by what they say it will be quite a good next gen game, if not then of course we just get another polished type bf3. Either way its a buy for me. The one thing i hope they try to do, is expand what their maps consist of. The urban scenario, while fun, should not be the only area to play in. Jungle areas would be nice, far cry games have nailed that, it would be nice to see just a bit of variety, of course on water battles definitely helps.