Battlefield 4 China Rising was supposed to have Levolution

Game files suggest that China Rising maps were supposed to have Levolution.

Battlefield 4 altai range levolution

According to a report, the Battlefield 4 China Rising DLC was actually supposed to have Levolution effects, but those were apparently scrapped from the final version.

According to sound files from the game, there are several files indicating that China Rising maps were supposed to have environmental Levolution features. For example, Altai Range was supposed to have a snow storm, while Silk Road was supposed to have a sand storm. Guilin Peaks was supposed to have a heavy fog blowing through the map.

When China Rising shipped last month, many noticed the lack of Levolution, a feature that DICE and EA have been heavily promoting for Battlefield 4.

Furthermore, the sound files reveal other features that were cut from the game. For example, players were supposed to be able to switch between the Commander and soldier roles, just like in BF2. And the files also show some of the smaller features that were cut, such as nearby soldiers congratulating you if you happened to rank up during a match.

Source

28 COMMENTS & TRACKBACKS

1. killerboye
    January 12th, 2014 at 11:30 am

WHYYY, why did you not do levolution 🙁

2. BL
    January 12th, 2014 at 1:17 pm

All things that would have really helped China maps but again was rushed out like the game itself was. Looking forward more and more to GTA 5 on PC and The Division to break away from BF4.

• skullhumper
      January 13th, 2014 at 8:22 am

yea same here getting really tired of BF4 with all these issues. like when i shoot ppl and they dont die even though my sights is directly on the target and the hit indicator shows hits. (happens a lot in HC)

3. Dave Douglas
    January 12th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Is it at all likely that these will be implemented later? Through updates? Idk how it all works I just enjoy the game. This feels like a rip off all the same

• Hi
      January 12th, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Probably not, if it hadn’t been programmed in the original release they will almost certainly not introduce features that will radically change the way players can interact with the maps.

4. Soloman
    January 12th, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Again more proof that it was rushed..

5. Capzook
    January 12th, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Actually the players congratulating on the rank up occur. I hear it every once in a while during matches.

6. artur
    January 12th, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I wasn’t impressed with china rising at all.

7. Arariel
    January 12th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

More proof that both companies dropped the ball, and are pathetic piles of shit. DICE bragged so much about levolution and how awesome it’d be, and I was expecting it on every single map, which wasn’t the case. Sure, I don’t want them to focus on levolution, but when you brag so much about it, and tell us to be amazed, it’s even more of a let down when we see there’s none of it at all.

I’m so glad I’m just sticking to GTA Online. BF4 is just not worth anything.

• BF Player
      January 12th, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I’m thinking of doing the exact same thing.

• Arariel
        January 13th, 2014 at 3:28 am

What system you play on?

8. Juzemeen
    January 12th, 2014 at 10:14 pm

wtf, this is BS. I would love to fight in a snow or sandstorm or some fog hope they going to work on it. And put these features in on a later date.

Really hope so and that they won’t let it as it is. And just complete every expansion to it’s fullest.
    Maybe just wait a year longer with bf5.

9. TheGame
    January 12th, 2014 at 10:22 pm

China Rising was very awful release. Maps are boring and “been there, done that”-material. Only one of the maps is playable – once or twice.

If the next map dlcs are such a crap I feel robbed.

10. garydbuby
    January 13th, 2014 at 1:54 am

hehe its spelled revorution

11. Plakman
    January 13th, 2014 at 4:08 am

Instead of thinking what fun you could have had with the game, you should be thinking about the fun you can have with it atm.

I’m for sure not approving the way they released it and cut the game down though.

But i know i’m having lots of fun with the game as is.

12. Cheify
    January 13th, 2014 at 6:11 am

Levolution is a cheap wasteful gimmick anyway. You get this sort of thing in other games but bf is just on a bigger scale. It’s the equivalent to a QTE

It’s an excuse not to go back to bc2 destruction… I think even bf3 had more destruction.

13. Lightcruiser
    January 13th, 2014 at 10:23 am

On ps3 there is a sand storm on slik road

14. Hmmmmdurr
    January 13th, 2014 at 11:36 am

Can’t blame DICE. EA always make the game developers feel ashamed of themselves when the marketing section of EA is being the dickface.

15. Guy98
    January 13th, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Incorrect; players’ in-game soldiers do congratulate you on ranking up. At least they do on Xbox 360.

Seriously. Rank up (helps if that “you’ve been promoted” message shows up a bunch of times in a row; you might get lucky and have multiple players’ soldiers witness it) and be near a teammate, preferably US or your native language (I’ve only heard US soldiers do it, though). They might say something.

That’s not to say the soldier voices are not messed up, though. If you die, your teammates will congratulate the enemy; if you kill an enemy, they’ll sometimes say “MAN DOWN!” Or at least on Zavod 311 that happens. I got shot near a teammate and he said “Nice work”. This happens annoyingly often.

16. Commenter
    January 13th, 2014 at 12:50 pm

DICE is EA, don’t you know that? They are all the same to blame, don’t be naive and believe when they say we are working hard to fix the game and such, its all lies from the very beginning and we should’t believe anything otherwise.

• Lucky_Soul
      January 14th, 2014 at 5:16 pm

DICE is not EA. EA just owns DICE. DICE develops, and EA publishes. DICE can’t leave EA because they own them, clearly. Honestly, you are the one being naive here. “its all lies from the very beginning and we should’t believe anything otherwise” proves that you are. Don’t you know that?

DICE has a really talented group of people, but EA rushes them too much. DICE is their cash cow, and they milk them dry!

17. Coos Coos
    January 13th, 2014 at 2:14 pm

This link is an interview by JackFrags with Craig McLeod, a DICE producer. At approximately 2:00minutes in, he talks about the “environmental levolution” that is talked about in this article. BF4 central, you guys should write an article on this too in order to spread the word. Hopefully they will reconsider.

18. ScreamFace
    January 13th, 2014 at 8:13 pm

The annoying thing is, you can really see how the maps were designed for this. A big complaint about some of them is how open they are. Snow storms and sand storms make total sense. So it just seems they removed the events, but then didn’t tweak the maps, when they were designed specifically to have such an event happen.

19. BF4 sucks
    January 14th, 2014 at 6:16 am

BF4 is the last BF-game for me.

20. FoxFire510
    January 18th, 2014 at 7:29 am

I just wanted to contribute to the information: Adaptive Paint for weapons on Altai Range paints the weapons white. This supports the files found showing that a snowstorm was supposed to be the Levolution for that map. I play on PC, FoxFire510 is my sn, BSF4 is my tag “Bullshit Field 4”. DICE please give me a reason to change my tag ;/

21. H&K
    January 23rd, 2014 at 12:00 am

I loved China Rising until I read this.. Now I know what I’m missing..

22. bf4 player
    February 4th, 2014 at 4:26 am

but……. but…….. what if…….. I actually like the game and there are no bugs?

23. LUCKYO
    March 2nd, 2014 at 2:41 am

There are no big levolution in china rising but some small like the IED BOMBS planted on crane blow up an levolution, takes place. By the way my name is nice. $LUCKYO$